Custom Search

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Tasty Recipe Review: Cinnamon Spiral Crisps


Who doesn't love cookies? They're fun, easy to make (most of the time) and delicious!!! I really really wanted to try and make Palmiers today. You know those big elephant ear cookies that are crispy and sugary and just truly irresistible. Unfortunately I could not find any puff pastry and I sure wasn't going to try and make some!

I sat down with my book from Elinor Klivans 125 Cookies to Bake, Nibble and Savor to see what inspired me. I reviewed one of her recipes before remember. Parisian Toffee Crisps. The word crisp just gets me going you know, it just sounds like something you want to taste. Crisp. This is how I came across this recipe here Cinnamon Spiral Crisps, they sounded fascinanting! 

Let me tell you, these are quite addictive, be careful!

The first thing I noticed about this recipe is that the dough is quite the same as making pie crust. So I thought what on earth are these going to taste like? Cinnamon pie? I don't know what a cinnamon pie would taste like, but probably it would be these cookies and let me say they are delicious! I could not stop eating them.

The recipe is extremely simple. Unfortunately it does not specify the temperature and cooking time. Big slip on her part! Since most things are baked at 350 degrees F, that's what I used to be on the safe side. As for the time, it was a bit more complicated. I started with 16 minutes and then checked every 2 minutes or so. I ended up baking these for 20 minutes. But I recommend start checking them at 16, you don't want to overbake these.

Be sure to remove these from the pans while they are still hot, otherwise they are prone to break. My first batch was all but completely destroyed before I heated them up again so they would loosen.

I found this recipe wonderful and very versatile, you can practically fill this dough with almost anything and they would come out tasting great. I am definitely trying these with a salty filling soon. Yes I said salty!! So many things come to mind I don't know where to start Yum!! I'm sure this dough would make some pretty good Palmiers...

Cinnamon Spiral Crisps
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup flour
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces

Put the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir to blend.

Put the flour and salt in the large bowl of an electric mixer. On low speed add the butter pieces. Mix just until they are the size of small lima beans. Slowly add 3 tablespoons of ice water, a tablespoon at a time. Stop beating as the mixture begins to hold together and come away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured rolling surface and form into a square disk about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate fro 15 minutes, until the dough is cold an firm.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12X9 rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the dough. Roll the dough into a tight roll. Pinch the edges to seal them. Press the seam. Freeze the roll unbaked, or refrigerate for about 1 hour until it is cold and firm, then slice an bake the cookies.


This is what my roll looked like



And this is what the unbaked cookies look like




Kinda like a cinnamon roll right?


Till next time, I hope you enjoyed this review and remember, if you have a Tasty Recipe that you would like to share, or if there's a recipe that you have been wanting to try and just haven't been able to, let me know about it. I'll give you a Tasty Review!

2 comments:

  1. Our local bakery has something they call a "Cinnamon Crisp". They are big, more or less round, flaky disks. Cinnamony and messy to eat, because they are so flaky. He makes some with pecans some plain.
    How large are these cookies. They look like what the bakery has.
    I am truly additcted to these things and wonder if these cookies would be similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank you for your comment. These cookies were really good. They are not big cookies, from what I remember they were average size. They were flaky though and addictive. Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think, they're really easy to make.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online