Custom Search

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tasty Recipe Review: Pumpkin Cupcakes


Pumpkin is back and it's scary hehe! This week I'm reviewing a recipe by My Kitchen Addiction Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream. That sounded wonderful to me, I just needed to try them. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to make the Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream but it sounds absolutely delightful I will have to try it one day, that's for sure!

The cupcakes were incredibly easy to make. I did add a few things to the recipe, more pumpkin, a bit more spices, honey and some orange zest, because I think orange zest goes great with pumpkin. And I was right!

These cupcakes were not only easy to make but they were delicious! I loved how all the flavors came together and created a wonderfully complete and balanced taste. The orange zest really gave this recipe a nice twist and brought out the pumpkin at the end. I truly enjoyed these cupcakes and found them very light with great texture.


To make these delicious cupcakes you will need:


  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
(For my variation add 1 tablespoon honey, 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/4 teaspoon ginger and orange zest to taste.) 

Combine all of the ingredients (yes, I said all of the ingredients) in the bowl of your stand mixer (or just a large mixing bowl if you are brave and have a hand mixer). Beat on medium speed for 20 minutes (that’s why I said you must be brave… or at least energetic). (I found that there is no need to beat the mixture for this long)

While the mixer is doing all of the work, preheat the oven to 350°F, line two standard muffin pans with cupcake papers (for 24 cupcakes). 

Once the batter is smooth, fill each of the cupcake liners about 2/3 full with batter.  Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool the cupcakes in the pans for a few minutes, and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 cups powdered sugar (varies based on temperature/humidity)
  • 3 tablespoons half and half (varies based on temperature/humidity)
In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and shortening. Whip together with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy.  Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk until well combined.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Alternately add the half and half, whipping the icing on medium-high speed after each addition, until the desired consistency is reached.



Till next time, I hope you enjoyed this review and remember, if you have a Tasty Recipe that you would like to share, or if there's a recipe that you have been wanting to try and just haven't been able to, let me know about it. I'll give you a Tasty Review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online