Custom Search

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Single Serving Pies


I have had this recipe for years. I'm not sure where I got it from unfortunately, but it has always been a hit. I was in the mood for something kind of cute and instead of making a whole pie, I decided to make miniature personal apple pies.

I have to say, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this today or if I wanted to use it for my recipe review tomorrow. But, I already had my recipe review, well, reviewed so I decided to show you these cute pies!

Recipe

Ingredients:

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter or margarine
6-7 tablespoons of cold water

Filling:

6-8 apples of your choice, no preference here
1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional )
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 - 1 cup sugar ( I like my pies on the sweet side so I use the full cup! )
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinammon
pinch of nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray muffin tins with non stick cooking spray
For the crust, I like using the food processor, it makes it so much easier!

Mix flour salt and butter in your food processor until the butter is the size of peas. Add the water one tablespoon at a time using the pulse button until you get a uniformed dough.
On a lightly floured surface roll the dough to about 1/8 in. thick. Or you can just roll it out to any thickness you like.

Using a round cutter, cut out the bases of your mini pies.

 
Place them in the prepared muffin tins.

For the filling, peel and cut your apples into small sized chunks. Combine with lemon, sugar, cinammon, flour and nutmeg. Toss to coat.

Like so


Fill the muffin cups to the top




Roll out the remaining dough and using a smaller cutter make the tops of the pies.



Cover the pies and pinch the edges



Using a toothpick, poke holes into the tops of your pies to let the steam out




At this point you can use an egg wash on the tops of your pies if you like and even sprinkle some sugar so it looks pretty. Personally I'm lazy and didnt' feel like wasting an egg, so I didn't do it.

 Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown.











As you can see, some of my filling did ooze out and spill over so be sure to pinch those edges well.

Now you have single serving apple pies!




Enjoy!!



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea!! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jade! They were really good and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable!
    What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you! I thought they would be so cute and you can eat them with your hands!! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online