Custom Search

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tasty Recipes


Being a baker I love to try new recipes all the time. I have found some wonderful recipes as well as disasters!


This is why I have decided to create this segment Tasty Recipe Review. Every Sunday, I will post a new recipe that I have tried out during the week and let you all know if it’s up to my standards and hopefully yours as well!


This week’s recipe comes to us courtesy of Paula Deen from foodnetwork.com (don’t you just love her?!) and it is a Ginger Cookie recipe.



Recipe:


Ingredients:


* ¾ cup vegetable shortening

* 1 cup sugar plus more for rolling

* 1 large egg

* ¼ cup molasses if I don't have molasses I use dark corn syrup, works just as well

* 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

* 2 teaspoons baking soda

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1 teaspoon ground ginger

* ½ teaspoon ground cloves

* ½ teaspoon salt


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats. You can use a nonstick spray as well.


Using an electric mixer at low speed, cream the shortening and sugar until thoroughly combined. Add the egg and molasses and beat until completely incorporated.


Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and add to the mixture. Stir until combined.


Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter. I use the tablespoon measurement, they come out perfect!


Roll the balls in sugar.


Place ½ inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten the balls slightly with your fingertips.


Bake for 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.


I find that 12 minutes is the exact amount of time if want a nice crispy outside and a somewhat chewy middle. If you want a much crispier cookie all around bake for approx. 15 minutes.


This is what the cookies look like when they come out of the oven



See how the tops are all crackly. That's from the sugar that we used to roll them in before baking.


Take a closer look




 They look good right?


Well, the truth is they are good. They're very good!


These cookies are truly delicious. The recipe is so easy and quick to make, you can even ask your kids to help. I'm sure they'll love making the balls and rolling them in sugar. The dough is great to work with, it's not sticky at all. I found it perfect.


Another great thing about this recipe is that your house smells wonderful as they're baking!


Did I mention they were delicious? OMG! I wanted to eat them all straight out of the oven.


I found that they can also make a great gift, especially for the holidays, they have all those autumy - chistmasy  spices baked right in!

In the end, these cookies deserve all the stars available, this is truly a Tasty Recipe!


If you have a Tasty Recipe that you would like to share, or if there's a recipe that you have been wanting to try and just haven't been able to, let me know about it. I'll give you a Tasty Review.



2 comments:

  1. I found your blog on ironcupcake's website and thought I'd check it out, as a fellow Tico bakeress. These cookies look divine, but I can't help but wondering how well they went over with the natives. I tried to force gingerbread cookies down the throats of a Tico family once, to no avail. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jelli Bean! I must tell you I was a little hesitant at first, I thought they wouldn't be well received but the truth is they love them! I've gotten nothing but praise from all the Ticos that have tasted them. Also, gingerbread and ginger cookies are different so maybe that is why yours weren't that appreciated. Let me know if you succeed with these ones! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online